Onwards, to comply with Apple’s Terms of Service, apps using analytics SDKs must:
- request explicit user consent and
- provide a clear visual indication when recording, logging, or otherwise making a record of user activity
This specific guideline had a shocking and disruptive effect on the entire industry.
The guideline’s fast definition and Apple’s insistence on immediacy point to a quick fix intended to prevent further similar data breaches and scandals.
From the developers perspective, for those apps that fit the profile, this would mean developing new consent dialogues and embedding them within the app functionality and design.
The alternative for app developers is to face exclusion and removal of their apps from the App store.
And in effect, this left many app developers in the dark and scrambling to provide best answers to these guidelines.
From what we learned and witnessed, the app developers are moving forward with an easier & short-term option – they’re just excluding analytics SDKs from their apps.
To provide another option, we created a SmartlookConsentSDK for iOS & Android apps which all developers can use freely.
This SDK will allow developer apps to comply with the Apple’s guidelines easier and faster.
- provides a configurable control panel where the user can select their privacy options
- stores the selected user preferences for the app
- enables all texts to be fully localized
- enables linking to privacy policies which may be provided by an external web page and presenting them without leaving the app
The iOS SDK, works both with Swift and Objective-C apps.
Visit the SDK’s GitHub repo for more technical and installation information.
Here’s a quick demo of SmartlookConsentSDK:
We hope app developers will use this consent SDK to make their apps more transparent and ensure end user privacy is secured and safeguarded.
We encourage developers to help us to make the SDK better and helpful. Everyone is more than welcome to share the repo and contribute to it if they discover any outstanding issues and / or bugs.